Title: Lab Manager, Plastics
Location: Memphis/Jackson Region, TN
Position reports to: Senior Technical Manager
Our client is a leading custom compounder of plastics in the materials science industry. With 10 U.S. locations and operations in Belgium, Germany, Singapore and China, there are several divisions serving a wide range of industries. This is a newly created role, due to company growth, and there will be opportunity to advance in this organization. The person to whom the role reports has a long career with the organization and has been promoted several times. According to employee reviews, 89% of employees would recommend working here to a friend.
The Lab manager here will oversee all lab operations and be responsible for organizing, overseeing and implementing the plant laboratory in all activities of production, quality control, raw material qualification and control, sample manufacturing, and the quality program.
The person hired for this role will work on site with a lab focused on resins, plastics and polymers. There will be 3-5 direct reports, and management experience is required.
This person will need to be based in Memphis/Jackson area, and relocation assistance is available for those open to relocating.
- Ensures Company safety procedures along with state and federal laws/regulations are being adhered to and promotes all Company policies related to safety, quality, environmental, and human resources.
- Tracks and reports progress relative to lab goals via: weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports to direct supervisor and senior management.
- Conducts scheduled lab meetings to identify training and equipment needs, as well as to resolve conflicts, amend/adopt procedures, and enhance communication among lab employees.
- Develops test methods and SOP’s and ensure that effective training is performed for these methods.
- Maintain safe operating procedures through complete knowledge of safety rules and lab procedures.
- Direct projects relating to product improvement, product maintenance and manufacturing improvement.
- B.S. degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering required.
- Minimum 5 years experience in a chemical laboratory or other technology environment experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a supervisory or managerial role required.
- Thorough knowledge of analytical techniques (AA, GC, IR, etc.) and instrumentation maintenance and repair.
Full corporate benefits, bonus, plus relocation assistance if needed.